
#1 FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS - FACEBOOK DELETED FIVE YEARS OF MY LIFE
Gavins facebookprofil er blevet slettet. Fire års fotodokumentation af hans liv er væk, og det er en kamp at få svar på hvorfor. Humoristisk og tankevækkende.
"[...] when is Facebook ever wrong? Never, that's when—science tells us that they know more about you than you do. The financial markets are about to give them history's most exquisite blowjob. So whatever Mark Zuckerberg tells you that you think you are not, it is true. When he decides you signed up to his site at age seven in order to masquerade as a twentysomething, you did. And when he decides you are dead to the social world, well, brother, you just are."
#2 THE STRANGELY UPLIFTING TALE OF THE CAM-GIRL WITH NO VAGINA
Et interview med Sally, der lider af Crohns sygdom og derfor har fået fjernet sine kønsdele. Hun fortæller i interviewet om hvordan hendes karriere som 'camgirl' har reddet hende fra at tage sit eget liv. Og ja, det skal lige siges, at artiklen indeholder stødende billedemateriale.
"In February of 2011, I got my nipples pierced. I just thought they would look cute. I was also on heroin at the time and so, needless to say, I wasn’t really taking care of my body. [...] By June of that year, they were so swollen my doctors thought I'd had breast implants. And so I had surgery, but the surgical wounds never healed and I was in a lot of pain, so by May, I spoke to my doctor and said, “Please just remove them, I don’t want to feel like this any more.”"
#3 THE GARBAGE ISLANDS
The Garbage Islands er en længere artikelserie delt op i tre afsnit. Det handler om miljøet, og er en del af en endnu større Toxic-serie. Da jeg læste artiklen for første gang for fire år siden, havde jeg ingen anelse om hvor slemt det stod til, og artiklen har været en kæmpe øjenåbner. Jeg synes i virkeligheden, alle burde læse Garbage Islands-serien.
"The problem with all the bravado on both sides of the ecology debate is that nobody really knows what they’re talking about. Trying to form opinions on climate change, overpopulation, and peak oil hinges on ginormous leaps of faith based around tiny statistical deviances that even the scientists studying them have a hard time understanding. It gets so convoluted with all the yelling and the politics that sometimes you just want something huge and incontrovertibly awful to come along for everybody to agree on. Something you can show anyone a picture of and go, “See? We’re fucked.” Well, I have just such a thing. There is a Texas-size section of the Pacific Ocean that is irretrievably clogged with garbage and it will never go away. And I have seen it with my own eyes."
#4 WORKING GIRL - SELLING YOURSELF BY THE OUNCE
Tierney har haft succes med at sælge kropsvæsker, udtrådte sko, brugte trusser, tånegle og tis til perverterede fetichister.
"All around the world and since the dawn of time, pretty young girls have made money off the horny minds of older men. This usually involves stripping, walking the streets, or taking it up the ass on video. While all three of those things are fabulous I’m sure, most of the girls who do them hate their job, their dads, and themselves. Luckily for me I am pretty much a genius and have discovered a way to extract money from degenerate perverts with minimal degradation on my part. I don’t even have to meet them, much less touch them."
#5 SLAVERY'S BACK! ONLY CUTER...
Billedserie med tilhørende artikel, om det skræmmende store salg, af unge piger i Romænien.
"In Bucharest, you can buy a young girl for 8,000 euros. I mean buy them as in you own them forever or until you sell them to someone else. Most of them are sold by their parents in Moldova when they are little children. As soon as they’re bought, the owner brands them. This is normally a tattoo of his name."
#6 TWO REALLY SHORT STORIES
Og afslutningsvist; to virkeligt fine, kortnoveller af , som gjorde et stort indtryk på mig, første gang, jeg læste dem.
"People were friendly and formal in that German way, swimming along next to each other and shaking hands in the water. Jenny’s mother went there all the time and there was one man she always saw that came every day. An older gay man who always dressed well, fastidiously, and wore a toupee. A serious swimmer who did his laps and said hello to everybody and shook hands."
Ingen kommentarer:
Send en kommentar